Friday, September 25, 2015

LEAVING LOUISIANA IN A DRIVING RAIN


Ten years ago, Hurricane Rita ravaged parts of Louisiana and Texas. I'd been staying with my parents in north Louisiana, taking turns with brother Jack, caring for my mother with lymphoma and father with Alzheimer's. Rita was whistling through town the night I left for home. The strength of the storm, even at the Oklahoma border, still amazes me. Here's what I wrote at the time:

I tried sneaking away from Vivian yesterday before my new girlfriend Rita realized I was going. I didn’t quite make it. She wrapped my neck in a damp embrace, trying to keep me from leaving.

She chased me, smothering me with wet kisses. When that didn’t work she tried to blow me off the road.  Finally, at the Oklahoma border, she gave up and let me go. Some relationships were never meant to be.
###




Eric Wilder is the author of the Paranormal Cowboy and French Quarter Mystery Series. If you liked Leaving Louisiana, please check out more of Eric's writing on his AmazonBarnes & Noble, and iBook author pages

No comments: