Friday, October 18, 2013

Prior Approval Required for Burial

Here is a pic of the O'Farrell Cemetery, located in the East Texas county of Cass, not far from Atlanta. The sign on the fence says no burial without prior approval. My great-grandparents J.P. O'Rear and Annie Childress O'Rear are buried there.

John "Pink" Pinkney O'Rear, my great-grandfather, lost a leg in the Civil War while serving with Company D of the 1st Texas Infantry Battalion. After the war, he hiked from Georgia to Texas on the wooden leg the Union doctors provided him.

He died long before I was born, but my grandmother assured me he had no ill will against the Yankees and had told her many times they treated him with respect while he was in their prison camp.

I'm glad I had no one to bury on the day I visited because I had no prior approval.

###


All of Eric's books are available at AmazonBarnes & Noble, and on his iBook author pages, and his Website.

No comments: