Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Last Tango in Heidelberg

The results of my recent yearly physical showed two adverse things: my cholesterol is high and my blood sugar is elevated. While I’m not diabetic I am moving in that direction. I was told to start eating like a diabetic or else become one.

I began assessing my diet but didn’t have to go far to discover at least one major reason for my condition. The culprit is beer. I love the beverage and not just the light American variety. My favorites are darks and ambers, most with the consistency of highly refined motor oil. The problem is they are all loaded with carbohydrates.

It’s hard to believe that one little beer can cause major health problems but for a person with a tendency toward obesity and an exercise ethic that consists of little more than walking from the dinner table to the computer screen, it can become a death threat, especially if you drink several six-packs, or more, every week.

I haven’t drunk a beer since last Wednesday and the regimen is beginning to play havoc with my writing. Why? I can’t think of anything else except quaffing a pint of Bass or Beck’s, or one of the many wonderful American brews such as Anchor Steam or Full Sail. Sorry if I didn’t mention your favorite brewski as - in good Oklahoma and Will Rogers fashion - I personally never met a beer I didn’t like.

For all my faithful readers out there I don’t mean to make light of a serious health problem. The possibility of becoming diabetic frightens me to death and I intend to deal with it. I guess I’ll just have to start making do with a shot glass of Guinness once every week or so.

http://www.EricWilder.com

No comments: